Annotated Project List, 1987-2001
During 14 years at Bruce King Yacht Design (BKYD), Tad Roberts contributed to the following projects:
- 2000 Cecile Marie, 131' Aluminum Cutter, BKYD
- Built for a Danish owner by Huisman Shipyard in Holland. Aluminum hull with carbon sloop rig and dark mahogany interior by Dick Young.
- 2000 Scheherazade, 154' Cold-molded Ketch, BKYD
- Built for an American owner by Hodgdon Yachts in East Boothbay, Maine. Cold-molded of douglas fir and red cedar with carbon spars.
- 1999 Antonisa, 124' Cold-molded Centerboard Sloop, BKYD
- Built for an Italian owner by Hodgdon Yachts in East Boothbay, Maine. Cold-molded hull with carbon centerboard and spars. Cherry interior.
- 1999 Hinckley 44, Composite Twin Water-jet Express, BKYD
- 1998 Hinckley Custom 40, Composite Twin Water-jet Express, BKYD
- 1995 Liberty, 80' High-speed Cold-molded Commuter, BKYD
- Built for an American owner by Hodgdon Yachts in East Boothbay, Maine. Interior. Cold-molded.
- 1994 Chanty, 51' Cold-Molded Centerboard Wishbone Ketch, BKYD
- Built by Zimmerman Marine in Cardinal, Virginia. Cold-molded. Interior
- 1993 Hinckley Picnic Boat, 37' composite jet boat, BKYD
- 1993 Bemfujjo, Cold-molded Express BKYD
Built at an Italian yard for a German owner for use in the Indian Ocean. Interior
- 1992 Hetairos, 124' Cold-Molded Centerboard Ketch, BKYD
Built for a German owner by Abeking and Rasmussen in Germany, with project management by Jens Cornellson. Cold-molded hull with welded bronze ballast keel and centerboard case. Carbon Spars. Dark mahogany interior by Andrew Winch.
- 1992 Alejandra, 134' Aluminum Ketch, BKYD
- Built for a Spanish owner by the Mefasa Yard in Northern Spain. Aluminum hull with carbon spars and Cuban mahogany interior. Construction managed by her skipper, Steve Mclaren.
- 1992 Hinckley 70 production composite sailing yacht, BKYD
- 1991 Sophie, 90' Cold-Molded Lift Keel Sloop, BKYD
- Built for a Swedish owner by Renaissance Yachts and finished at Derecktors yard in Connecticut. Cold-molded with hydraulic vertical lifting ballast keel in a fiberglass case.
- 1990 Dixie, high-speed cold-molded sportfisherman, BKYD
- Built for an American owner by Hodgdon Yachts in East Boothbay, Maine. Cold-molded.
- 1990 Rooster, 31' cold-molded mahogany surface drive speedboat, BKYD
- 1987 Signe, 100' cold-molded ketch, BKYD
- Built by Renaissance Yachts, Thomaston, Maine. Interior by Joe Artese.
Roberts did pay his dues, working for many years in the Bruce King office. I mentioned in the last issue that Roberts contributed materially to the improvement of the Covey Island Bounty ketch. More importantly, he was chief designer under Bruce King for most of the amazing large sailboats that have made King justifiably famous. He also played a key role in Bruce King Yacht Design's first forays into power-boat design and was not an insignificant factor in the development of some of the most successful power designs in history, the Hinckley Picnic Boats and the Talaria motor cruisers.
Art Paine, Maine Boats and Harbors, Autumn 2003
All images on this page are courtesy of the respective builders.